The AMPAA in Melun-Villaroche, France is restoring two Il-10 Sturmovik.
The Ilyushin Il-10 is a cousin from the famous IL-2 Sturmovik. Derivated from the Il-1, as a 2 seats heavely armoured attack aircraft, it was propulsed by a more powerful, Mikulin AM-42 engine (1770HP).
In October 1944, the Il-10 first entered service with training units in the Soviet Air Force. In January 1945, the first Il-10 combat unit entered service with the 78th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment, but it did not enter action due to unfinished training. However, three other Il-10 units managed to take part in the final combat actions of World War II in Europe. They were the 571st Assault Aviation Regiment (from 15 April 1945), the 108th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment (from 16 April 1945), and the 118th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment (on 8 May 1945). About a dozen aircraft were destroyed by flak or engine breakdowns, but the Il-10 appeared to be a successful design. One was shot down by an Fw 190 fighter, but a crew of the 118th Regiment shot down another Fw 190 and probably damaged another. On 10 May 1945, the day after the official Soviet end of the war, (Victory Day), there were 120 serviceable Il-10s in Soviet Air Force combat units, and 26 disabled ones.
After the USSR reentered the war against the Empire of Japan, with the invasion of Manchuria, from 9 August 1945, one Il-10 unit, the 26th Assault Aviation Regiment of the Pacific Navy Aviation, was used in combat in the Korean Peninsula, attacking Japanese ships in Rasin and rail transports.
After the war, until the early 1950s, the Il-10 was a basic Soviet ground attack aircraft. It was withdrawn from service in 1956. At the same time, work on new jet-powered dedicated armoured ground attack planes (like the Il-40) was canceled, and the Soviets turned to multipurpose fighter-bomber aviation. The Il-10 and its licensed variant, the Avia B-33, became a basic ground attack plane of the Warsaw Pact countries. From 1949 to 1959, the Polish Air Force used 120 Il-10s (including 24 UIl-10), and 281 B-33s. In Poland, the B-33 was modified to carry 400 l fuel tanks under its wings. From 1950 to 1960, Czechoslovakia used 86 Il-10s, including six UIl-10s, and about 600 B-33s. From 1949 to 1956, the Hungarian Air Force used 159 Il-10s and B-33s. From 1950 to 1960, the Romanian Air Force used 14 Il-10s and 156 B-33s. Bulgaria also used these aircraft.
Aicraft restored by the AMPAA (Amicale des Mécaniciens et Pilotes d'Aéronefs Anciens) are coming from Czech Republic and were exchanged with the Air Museum Kbely.
One aircraft is restored to airworthy condition while the second one for static exhibition.
The DD-39 was displayed during more than 30 years on a memorial for the Czechoslovak Air division in USSR in the center of Ostrava.
The monument was dismantled in early 90's and the aircraft handed over the Aviation Museum in Prague-Kbely.
The restoration is progressing slowly and surely. We will keep you updated with progress on this project.
Photos : AMPAA and Derek Gaynor
undefined Last modified on